Drupal is a free, open-source software that can be used by individuals or groups of users -- even those lacking technical skills -- to easily create and manage many types of websites. The application includes a content management platform and a development framework.
The standard release of Drupal, known as Drupal core, contains basic features common to content management systems. These include user account registration and maintenance, menu management, RSS feeds, taxonomy, page layout customization and system administration.
What are its benefits?
Here are some of the benefits of using Drupal
- Easy to manage Compared with most of the other content management systems, Drupal may seem difficult, however, once it is explained, it grants the webmaster the abilities to do practically anything with the site content. This is quite unlike other Content management systems where a complete knowledge of all the intricacies of the site have to be developed before the webmaster can have complete access.
- Open source Drupal is open source unlike most other content management systems. This is especially beneficial because it allows the developer to modify the source code away from the template and create something completely new and different each time. This is wonderful for brand developers and site owners who are interested in creating brands which are different from all others.
- Customization Drupal is so easily customized it makes other content management systems look forced. You can get into the code and modify it to the extent your site starts to look like nothing that has ever existed. Other content management systems offer you a variety of templates and this results in you having a site that is similar to another somewhere else in one way or another.
- It is SEO and Mobile friendly Above all other CMS platforms, Drupal is the most SEO friendly. This is because it can be modified very easily. Sites hosted using other CMS platforms have a problem with bank end modifications and these can forestall some attempts at SEO. These sites have definite templates that do not allow certain modifications, which is where Drupal comes in. With its enormous and powerful flexibility, it can be easily adjusted for SEO.
- Availability of APIs There are so many APIs available on Drupal so you can modify your site in so many various ways, depending only on what you want. With over a thousand developers on hand and as many available APIs from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google Apps, Google Analytics and so many others. In a nutshell, Drupal web development enables developers to make a feature-rich, high-quality website that fulfills all the requirements of their clients.